Do you have a floor space problem in your coop? How about rodents? Spilled food in the coop will invite the entire rodent population for miles around into the coop at night causing a lot of troubles.
The best solution for the rodent problem is to not leave feed in the coop, but if you have to feed in the coop due to your daily schedule or predators then this is an easy fix!
PVC feeders will significantly cut down on food spillage and adding caps to both ends will keep the rodents out! Simply remove the plug in the feeder end when you open the coop every morning.
Supplies you will need:
- PVC pipe and fittings (make enough feeders to have 1 for every 3 or 4 birds)
- Spray paint (optional, but can dress it up)
- 2 PVC end caps per feeder
- Glue gun
- Hose clamp
- If painting, spray paint the pipes and fittings
- Glue one round end cap into the bottom of the pipe. You can use a hot glue gun or pipe fitting cement for this step.
- Install the feeder. Use a hose clamp to attach the pipe feeder to the wall or post. When it is securely in place, fill the pipe with enough feed for 2 or 3 days only. This should prevent moisture and mold from becoming a concern.
- Use the second end cap to close off access to the feed. Put the cap on the top of the pipe after filling.
We would LOVE to see your photos of pvc feeders!